Thursday, November 29, 2012

DIY Mirrored Furniture

DIY Mirrored Furniture: If I can do it, you can too!

I am new to blogging, and I am still trying to figure this whole thing out, but I am going to try to post some pictures of my DIY mirrored desk project! We'll see how it goes!

Ok, so I really love the mirrored furniture look, but it all seems so pricey. So I began researching and saw some neat DIY's that I really liked. Like this one http://m-funk.blogspot.com/2011/09/diy-mirrored-dresser.html 

This is a mirrored dresser from Pottery Barn that was my inspiration (It cost $2,000) which is well above my budget! But it's B-E-A-utiful! Very classy!


I was moving and needed a smaller desk to fit in my smaller room. So I decided to try it on a desk. I found this white desk at GoodWill for $35 and it came with the chair. I thought it was a great deal! 

BEFORE:



AFTER:


Next I measured all the dimensions of the sides. Then the quoting process began. This was a nightmare. I read some blogs where people already had mirrors and found someone to cut them for $20. That was not the case. One company wanted to charge me $300 if I provided all of the mirrors. I thought that was outrageous, so then I thought about cutting it myself. Watched a You-tube video and quickly realized that was an AWFUL idea. Finally I found Smyrna Custom Glass and Mirror that provided the mirrors and cut 7 pieces to size and drilled the holes in the 4 drawers for around $100. They were really nice and even gave me advice on how to put the mirrors on.



Using liquid nails mirror adhesive and double sided mirror tape, I carefully glued the mirrors onto the desk.


used painting tape to help hold the mirrors down while they dried.
 (My parent's basement is a great workshop ;) Thanks mom and dad! )





And here she is! I love it! 

AFTER:









4 comments:

  1. Great desk! I have recently fell in love with mirrored furniture myself but it is soooo expensive!
    How did you get the handles on? No Nails? or did you drill a hole into the mirror..if thats the case I wont even try to attempt this! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Thank you! I did not cut any of the glass myself. I went to a mirror and glass shop and told them what I was trying to do. I asked them for each drawer to drill a hole directly in the center of the drawer and then I just matched Up the holes And attached The knob as you would normally. It is a great project if you want the Mirrored look for less

      Delete
  2. OMG! Love it! Great job

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's your room or your parlor you're hoping to carry class too, mirrored furniture can have a significant effect.

    ReplyDelete