Saturday, March 30, 2013

DIY Leather Tassel Key Chains






I had a lot of left over leather from my DIY Leather Passport project. I remembered a post I saw from my hero Jenny Komenda about DIY leather tassel key chains and I decided to give it a try. It's super easy!

You simply cut a 3"x7" rectangle, then you thinly slice the fringe pieces leaving some room at the top to glue. Next you cut a 1/2" x 3" piece for the top. I purchased a key ring and jewelry clasp to make mine simply because they were cheaper, but on the Jenny Komenda Tutorial she used a trigger clasp that was about $5.

                                             





I threaded one of the key rings through the clasp of the chain clip.

 Next, I put my top piece of 1/2"x3" piece of leather through it.



Next, I laid out my fringed leather piece with the small piece of leather in the corner. For the next step you put a strip of leather glue all the way across the top of the fringed leather piece and roll it up ontop of itself.







Then I added the small accent strip using the leather glue.



For the nail head I tried an upholstery nail and I also tried a stud which I folded around the accent strip. I love the final product! I have had the on on the right on my key chain for over a month and it is holding up perfectly!


                                               




No comments:

Post a Comment